Thursday, June 18, 2015

Owl Soup Blanket

Hey-o! It's been a quite a while since I've updated this blog. Lots of things have happened, I've moved twice, met someone and I'm now living with him. I've been knitting a lot this year, I've surpassed what I knit all year last year. I've been knitting since 2010 and still haven't made a blanket. (Aside from my knitted/crocheted scrap blanket, but that doesn't count... to me.)

I was looking for a quick blanket to knit for my first blanket. I had 13 skeins on Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton that I had found in my stash. Nine of the mustard color and four of the walnut color. I tried a pattern and I didn't like how it was knitting up so I ripped it out. I looked in the FO's under the LB Organic Cotton yarn page on Ravelry and found Creature Comforts Blanket by Sandrop329 which is based off of Purl Soho's Super Easy Baby Blanket.

I didn't want a "baby" blanket, I wanted an adult-sized blanket. So I modified Sandrop329's mods a little bit to suit what I wanted. This pattern ended up being kind of a recipe instead of a pattern. I call it "Owl Soup" because there are so many different pieces of other patterns incorporated.

Yarn: LB Nature's Choice Organic Cotton held double OR any bulky yarn of your choice.

Needles: Size 13 circular needles with 24 or 36 inch cable.

Cast on: 120 stitches

You will knit the first five rows in seed stitch. Then once you start the owl pattern, mark off the first 5 stitches on each end with a stitch marker. This will be your seed stitch border.

Start the owl pattern repeat:

Row 1: P7, K8,*P3, K8 to last 6 stitches, P6
Row 2: K6, P8, *K3, P8 to last 7 stitches, K7
Row 3: P7, C4B, C4F, *P3, C4B, C4F to last 6 stitches, P6
Row 4: K6, P8, *K3, P8 to last 7 stitches, K7
Row 5: P7, K8,*P3, K8 to last 6 stitches, P6
Row 6: K6, P8, *K3, P8 to last 7 stitches, K7
Row 7: P7, K8,*P3, K8 to last 6 stitches, P6
Row 8: K6, P8, *K3, P8 to last 7 stitches, K7
Row 9: P7, K8,*P3, K8 to last 6 stitches, P6
Row 10: K6, P8, *K3, P8 to last 7 stitches, K7
Row 11: Row 3: P7, C4B, C4F, *P3, C4B, C4F to last 6 stitches, P6
Row 12: K6, P8, *K3, P8 to last 7 stitches, K7
Row 13: P7, K8,*P3, K8 to last 6 stitches, P6
Row 14: K6, P8, *K3, P8 to last 7 stitches, K7
Row 15: Row 3: P7, C4B, C4F, *P3, C4B, C4F to last 6 stitches, P6
Row 16: K6, P8, *K3, P8 to last 7 stitches, K7

Your blanket should look something like this:

5 seed stitch | owl pattern | 5 seed stitch
      Seed stitch across 5 Rows

After you finish the Owl Pattern Repeat, knit another 5 rows of seed stitch.

What mine looked like after the second 5 rows of seed stitch. About to start the stockinette stripes.



Then, begin the stockinette body of the blanket:

Row 1 (WS): Purl across
Row 2 (RS): Knit across

Should look something like this at this point:


5 seed stitch | Stockinette | 5 seed stitch
       Seed Stitch Across 5 Rows
5 seed stitch | owl pattern | 5 seed stitch
       Seed Stitch Across 5 Rows

You can knit in the stockinette for as long as you'd like. I wanted a longer blanket so I just kept going. Once you're at a good point, do another repeat of 5 rows seed stitch, another owl pattern repeat and 5 more rows of seed stitch. Then bind off in any manner you like.



Breakdown on what the blanket "looks" like in words:

       Seed Stitch Across 5 Rows
 5 seed stitch | owl pattern | 5 seed stitch
       Seed Stitch Across 5 Rows
5 seed stitch | Stockinette | 5 seed stitch                             
       Seed Stitch Across 5 Rows                                              
5 seed stitch | owl pattern | 5 seed stitch
       Seed Stitch Across 5 Rows



If you find any errors, let me know ASAP! Or even if you have suggestions to improve this design.
If you enjoy this pattern, feel free to share with friends, and sell what you make, but please don’t claim as your own.

ThriftyRedhead

3 comments: