Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ood Snood


Hello all! I know, I know, I disappear for months at a time. I apologize, but this time it was for something so awesome it will blow your mind!!! So as you know, I am a certifiably obsessed Whovian. Well, I was looking for a pattern for an Ood mask on Ravelry and all I could find was a crochet version. I can’t crochet, so I thought, “Pfft, I’ll make my own then.” And I DID!!!!  I spent a month on this mask. I was going to go as an Ood for Halloween next year but I think I’m going to go as a dalek instead. So I have this awesome Ood mask that I am going to share with you all. Well, the pattern anyway. :)

Ood Snood



You can init this version if you want, or you can measure your own features so it’s custom. I made mine as customized for my face as I could. You can omit the mouth and nose holes. I need them because I get claustrophobic with my mouth and nose covered, plus I wanted a mouth hole so I could drink things with a straw. Haha! Words in red are my suggestions of improvement. (What I feel I messed up on.)

My facial measurements:
Neck length – 4 ½ inches
Mouth length – 2.25 inches
Nose width – 1.25 inches
Eye width – 1 inch
Eye length – 1.5 inches
Chin to bottom lip – 1.5 inches
Top lip to bottom of nose - .75 inches
Nose to eyes – 1.25 inches

Other supplies you’ll need: Pink pipe cleaners.

Pattern:
Size 8 circs and dpns, size 9 dpns.

Yarns I used: Caron Simply Soft in Victorian Rose and Bone

With CSS in Tan:
Co 90 sts
K1P1 for 4 ½ inches (or however long you want/need it)

Then increase to 126 (Honestly, this was too much, you could probably just stick with the 90 stitches or increase a few stitches. The 126 makes the face part super baggy)
K1 (m1, k3) x9, (m1, k2) x7, (m1, k3) x9, m1, k1

Then knit around for 2.5 inches and then BO 12 stitches for mouth. Then knit around back to the bound off stitches and cast the 12 stitches back on. (You can omit this part if you don’t want a mouth hole.)

Then knit around for .75 inches and then BO 8 stitches (I used 6 stitches and the nose hole was entirely too small) in the middle of the mouth. (You can omit this part and just knit across) Knit around back to the bound off stitches and cast the 8 stitches back on.

Then knit for 1.25 inches.

For eye holes, BO 11 stitches, knit 6, BO 11 stitches. Then knit around back to bound off stitches and cast back on the first 11 stitches. Then work the 6 stitches back and forth on a dpn or straight needle to make a few ridges – I did 5 rows. Then cast back on the second set of 11 stitches.

Then knit around for 8 rounds and then start decreases:
K4, K2tog
Knit
Knit
K3, K2tog
Knit
Knit
K2, K2tog
Knit
Knit
K1, K2tog
Knit
Knit
K2tog, K2tog
Knit
Knit
K2tog until 8 sts remain. Cut yarn and pull through.

You’ve done it! The mask itself is complete! Onto the facial features!

Tentacles:
Using size 9 dpns, cast on 4 stitches in CSS Victorian rose and knit and I-cord as long as your pipe cleaner. Before you bind off your I-cord, use a needle to thread your pipe cleaner through the I-cord. Then wrap the I-cord and pipe cleaner around something circular to make the tentacles spirally. I used my fingers to do this. Do this for as many pipe cleaners as you want. You can make them longer, shorter, anything you want.

I also used the tan to knit a small garter stitch piece to sew under the facial flap to attach the tentacles to so you won’t see what they’re sewn to.

Facial Flap:
With size 9 dpns, cast on 2 stitches.
1.        Purl across
2.        k1, m1, k1 (3)
3.        Purl across
4.        k1, m1, k2 (4)
5.        Purl across
6.        k1, m1, k2, m1, k1 (6)
7.        Purl across
8.        k2, m1, k2, m1, k2 (8)
9.        Purl across
10.     k3, m1, k2, m1, k3 (10)
11.     Purl across
12.     k4, m1, k2, m1, k4 (12)
13.     Purl across
14.     k5, m1, k2, m1, k5 (14)

Now, knit and purl back and forth for 7 inches.

I did 14 stitches, but I feel that it was too many. I think 10 stitches probably would have sufficed.


The Decreases:
On a right side row, begin:
1.        K5, k2tog, k5, k2tog
2.        Purl across
3.        k4, k2tog, k4, k2tog
4.        Purl across
5.        k3, k2tog, k3, k2tog
6.        Purl across
7.        k2, k2tog, k2, k2tog
8.        Purl across
9.        k2, k2tog
10.     Purl across
11.     k2tog, k1
12.     Purl across
13.     k2tog

Ear:
I didn’t add ears. I was going to but then I didn’t. This is optional.
With size 9 dpns, cast on 2 stitches.
1.        Purl across
2.        k1, m1, k1 (3)
3.        Purl across
4.        k1, m1, k2 (4)
5.        Purl across
6.        k1, m1, k2, m1, k1 (6)
7.        Purl across
8.        k1, k2tog,k1, k2tog
9.        Purl across
10.     k1, k2tog, k1
11.     Purl across
12.     k1, k2tog
13.     Purl across
14.     k2tog


Ood Sphere:
I used an ornament pattern. The pattern I used is found here: http://intarsia.meowingdog.net/2008/11/free-pattern-sarahs-christmas-ball.html

I used size 9 dpns and CSS in white and Gray for the ood sphere. Came out larger than I wanted, so you might want to scale it down or use what the pattern suggests. I know an 18 inch i-cord. I also stuffed it with poly-fil.

Now all you have to do is ASSEMBLE!!!

For the face flap I folded the middle into and M shape and sewed it that way. I then sewed the little garter stitch strip to the underside of the flap so I can attach my tentacles and ood sphere to it. Then I attached it to the mask. The M part up against the 6 stitches you did between the eyes. Once that is attached, all you have to do is attach the tentacles and sphere! Then you’re done! Yaaay!

If you find any errors, let me know ASAP! Or even if you have suggestions to improve this design.


If you enjoy this pattern, feel free to share with friends, and sell what you make, but please don’t claim as your own.


ThriftyRedhead


1 comment:

  1. This is soooooo awesome!!!!!!!!
    found you through Ravelry - HarryPotterAddict

    ReplyDelete