Monday, October 18, 2010

Costume finds! (Photo Heavy)

If you know me at all, you know that I loooove Halloween. I was super bummed this year because I had planned to be a sexy Darth Vader with a corset and everything, but I just didn't have time to make one. Or the funds. (That brocade is really expensive!) So I went hunting at Goodwill in my town and didn't find much the first time. Went to Oshkosh's Goodwill and I had it narrowed down to two. I was gonna buy this really unflattering "prom/homecoming" dress and go as Catelynn from Teen Mom (since I have a little extra around the middle, I figured I could pull it off!) Instead I found this sequined monstrosity! For only $4.99!!!

I'm fairly sure this was a dance team or tap dancing outfit at one point. But NOW! It's a Cabaret outfit! 


I found a super cute top hat at claire's for like pfft.. $11.99 I really didn't want to spend that on something I am going to wear once. So I decided to make my own.

I used a 12 ounce coffee cup from Kwik Trip. It was win-win because I got a pumpkin spice cappuccino! It was so tasty! Anyway, I also bought some satin, and the gold band and the feathers from JoAnn Fabrics. The base is an old scratched up CD that won't play. And I hot glued it, as you can see, to a clear head band. I accidentally melted the black one I had. I didn't think I had another black one, so I used a clear one. Well.... as I was cleaning off my bed, I found a black one. Urrgh! Oh well, the clear works too.

I used these two tutorials I found on YouTube:

Just what the hat looks like on up close.
$2.99; Goodwill 
These were from my second trip to Goodwill in my town this weekend. I decided I was going to paint them to match my outfit. This is the before.

And the after:

And if you look closely, you can see I painted the little dots in the black. The devil is in the details, my friends. :)


And now, I just want to show the complete costume all pulled together:
Ta dahhhhhhhhhh! Ignore mah thunder thighs, lol.


And to just add more hilarity to this post, I want to share with you how much of a disaster area my room is.
It's like my my room threw up all over itself.
And you see how my bed is all full of crap and various bags of stuff?


Look where it all is now:

It just ended up on my sewing machine cabinet, lol.


Anyway, it's getting super late. I just wanted to quick update everyone. It's still hard with Howie gone, I have his blanket that I sleep with. It still smells like him. :(


Also, I just want to share a nice photo from our two year anniversary two weekends ago.

We had a good time, well as much as we could. Our anniversary is October 11, which was a Monday, but we celebrated the 9th because I have class on Mondays and James works. And the 9th is when Howie was put down. It was a rough day.

We went to The Little Farmer and picked out a pumpkin, bought caramel apples and muffins and pies! It's such a cute little place. That's what we did on our first date, so we do that every year for our anniversary now. :) After that James took me AND my parents out for mexican food at La Tapitia. It was delicious. He's a keeper I think. Just need to talk him into marrying me now!

Anyhow, I just thought I'd quick update everyone! I hope you have a super day!

This is the ThriftyRedhead signing off!






No comments:

Post a Comment